HEALTHY CINNAMON APPLE MUFFINS
If you've been following Fooditarian Ventures for a while, then you have probably come to realize how much I love toast. For those who don't follow closely, it's a lot. I can't go out for breakfast/brunch and not get toast/jam. Take me to a restaurant that says "Oh, we don't have toast" (this happened recently!!) and see the utter disappointment written all over my face!
At the same time, I try not to eat TOO MUCH bread. At least when I cook/eat at home. But I recently found myself craving it every morning when I woke up. And I had a fresh batch of my homemade blueberry jam just waiting to be slathered onto SOMETHING. So, I started thinking about making a healthier recipe I could use to fulfill those cravings. I also happened to have a jar of unsweetened applesauce that I needed to use up pretty soon.
Enter these Healthier Cinnamon Apple Muffins! Full of wholesome ingredients, all of which I always have on hand, these made for the perfect breakfast/snack I was looking for!
SERVINGS: 12 muffins
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbs sugar alternative (I used SweetLeaf SugarLeaf)
- 1/4 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Additional mix ins, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a muffin pan generously with non-stick spray or line with paper liners.
2. Using a blender or food processor, blend oats until they are the consistency of flour.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until combined. You will have to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender a few times to make sure everything gets incorporated. Add in any additional mix ins you'd like!
4. Place about 2 tbs batter into each muffin cup until you have 12 evenly distributed muffins. Feel free to add more batter to each cup for a larger muffin. You will just need to adjust your baking time and will get less than 12 muffins.
5. Bake for about 8 minutes or until the muffins are beginning to brown at the edges and a toothpick comes out clean. *Keep an eye on the muffins, as mine baked up a lot faster than I thought they would!
6. Remove muffins from pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
If you make this recipe, please tag me on instagram @fooditarian_ventures so I can see your creations!